A small memorial began in a plant pot behind the home at 754 Nicol St. shortly after investigators left the scene of a fire that claimed the lives of three people Tuesday. Fire investigators have concluded that the fire was accidentally started by candles left unattended. (CHRIS BUSH/The News Bulletin)

UPDATE: Nanaimo house where fatal fire occurred had no working smoke alarms

Nanaimo Fire Rescue completes its investigation into Tuesday’s fatal fire

There were no working smoke alarms at the Nicol Street home where three people died in a fire Tuesday.

Nanaimo Fire Rescue has concluded its investigation at 754 Nicol St. and determined that the fire was accidental, probably caused by an unattended candle.

“Nothing of [the investigation] proved that they had working smoke alarms,” said Nanaimo Fire Rescue chief Karen Fry at a press conference Friday.

She said investigators believed the fire started in the early morning hours.

“It was what we call and oxygen-deprived fire, so it was burning for a long period of time and then cooled down and then maybe reignited as it spread further throughout the house, at which time it was probably noticed by the passersby,” Fry said.

The fire chief said candles are a leading cause of fire and are dangerous, and said three-quarters of fire deaths could be prevented with working smoke alarms.

“It’s an early detection system that allows you to escape a fire,” Fry said.

She said the three deaths are tragic.

“This family was involved in the community, a lot of people knew them, people that we work with knew them, as well,” Fry said. “Anytime we lose a family or children it’s heart-breaking, so we’re grieving with the family, with their friends, with the community and our firefighters are hurting as well.”

Just Posted

Alert Bay, Sointula Sailings affected by bad weather

BC Ferries is holding the Quadra Queen II in dock this morning

Minor Earthquake strikes near Port Hardy

M 4.7 182km SW of Port Hardy

Viral video shows deer killed on Snapchat in Campbell River

RCMP say they have identified those involved and are working with conservation officers

Vancouver Island Firefighters Association Fall Training Seminar

Port Hardy Fire Rescue hosted the Vancouver Island Firefighters Association Fall Training Seminar.

‘Sisters of Song’ choir brings joy to Port Alice singers

“Music is an extreme source of joy for a lot of people.”

VIDEO: Rare comic showing Superman’s 1st appearance to be auctioned

The 1938 comic features Superman hoisting a car over his head

David Cassidy, teen idol and ‘Partridge Family’ star, dies at 67

Cassidy announced earlier this year he had been diagnosed with dementia

Vigil held for woman whose remains were found on Shuswap farm

Family and friends remember Vernon resident Traci Genereaux and along with five other missing women

Brewers create anti-fascist ale

Not For Nazis Nut Brown Ale made in the Shuswap will be ready in time for Christmas

LETTER: Jumbo Valley is part of Ktunaxa territorial claim

Ktunaxa Nation Council responds to Tom Fletcher column

3,800-plant grow-op busted on First Nation reserve

Three men face charges after RCMP bust a large drug operation on the Soowahlie Reserve near Chilliwack

VIDEO: Government approves funding of $750,000 drug for B.C. woman

Approval comes one day after province announces funding for Soliris on a case-by-case basis

B.C. boy’s social media bid to get levidrome in the Oxford dictionary goes viral

‘It’s been five weeks and has totally blown up today.’

INTERACTIVE MAP: Follow the 2017 Tour de Rock

Follow the Tour de Rock, as they pedal more than 1,000 kilometres fundraising to combat paediatric cancer

Most Read