Ben Gardener and Andrew Mack of GDM Enterprises unload furniture at the Wilsons' new house last week.

‘Angels’ deliver furniture to family in need

When a recent house fire left a family with no home or possessions, UsedEverywhere.com helped them out.

FORT RUPERT – After a recent housefire left a family with no home or possessions, a community responded.

When Paula and Thomas Wilson’s house burned down in March, Paula’s sister contacted UsedEverywhere.com, a free, online market where private and commercial vendors can sell used items. As part of their “Community Angel” program, the staff searched the “Free” section of its classified ads to find replacement possessions for the Wilsons.

“We get in touch with families in need and help them out,” said Erin Richards, the marketing coordinator of UsedEverywhere.com. “This is the first time we’ve done something to this scale.”

A truck was filled with basic furnishings, including kitchen supplies, couches, and appliances. With help from GDM Enterprises, it was driven up-Island and delivered to the Wilsons’ new home in Fort Rupert. Last week it was all unloaded in front of a TV news crew.

“It’s a feel-good afternoon,” said Richards after all the furniture was unloaded.

Afterwards, Paula and her daughter, Selina, visited the shell of their old house and picked through the wreckage. “It’s all coming along slowly,” said Paula.

The family is still attending counselling.

“I’ve been having trouble sleeping,” Paula said. “We’re all dealing with this in different ways.”

She described being awakened in the middle of the night by a bang. From the window, she saw an orange glow and what looked like snow falling from the sky. Moments later, her door burst open, and the hallway was engulfed in flames.

There were five occupants in the house on the night of the fire: Paula, Thomas, their daughter and son, and their daughter’s boyfriend. All occupants managed to escape, but their dog was lost in the fire. Wilson says this is still the hardest part to think of.

The family stayed in a hotel for two weeks before they started renting their current residence. They want to start rebuilding the old house, though. “It will be like awakening from the ashes,” said Paula. She hopes they can figure out why the fire started before they tear down. The house had been newly renovated, and difficulties with the heating system may have contributed to the fire.

“We’re feeling really blessed,” she said of the help the family has received. “We’ve made it through the first part of feeling like we’re living again.”

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

VIDEO: North Island Bantam Eagles are ready for playoffs

The bantams will be playing their first two playoff games in Port McNeill this weekend.

Bradshaw’s Photo Highlight: The top of Mt. Wolfenden

“A few shots at different focal lengths and then I was back inside editing with a coffee in hand”

Check out a new future at career and education fair in Comox

Event today features booths from more than 40 employers and educational institutions

Book reading: The Blue Haired Girl

Adam Hayes will be at the Book Nook (inside Cafe Guido) Feb. 1 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Veteran Island journalist battles cancer through pioneering treatment

Vancouver Island rallies around JR Rardon and family during stay in Seattle

VIDEO: Mass coronavirus quarantines seen in China won’t happen in Canada, authorities say

‘If a case comes here, and it is probably … it will still be business as normal’

Province’s oldest practising lawyer shares advice at her 100th birthday party

Firefighters bring Constance Isherwood a cake with 100 birthday candles

Vernon woman suing McDonald’s for spilled coffee

Woman seeking nearly $10K, says employee failed to put lid on properly

Diners’ health tax not catching on in B.C., restaurant group says

Small businesses look for options to cover employer health tax

B.C. comic wins judgment after club owner slaps cellphone out of his hands

Incident happened last summer when Garrett Clark was performing in Abbotsford

Owner surrenders dog suffering from days-old gunshot wound to B.C. SPCA

The dog was also found to be emaciated and suffering from a flea infestation

B.C. man dies after police called for ‘firearms injury’ in rural Alberta

Victim is 30-year-old Greater Victoria man, say police

Most Read