March 2 & 3
The Port McNeill Figure Skating Club’s Carnival Ice Show, “North Island Strong”! The Carnival includes two shows which start at 7:00 p.m. on both nights which cost $15 dollars for adults and $10 for kids. Tickets are available at Timberland Sports or at the door. Come for a night out to support skaters and a good skating show!
Goddess Gala International Women’s Day Event featuring guest Speaker Jacqui Beban the first female president of the BC Truck Loggers Association. 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. at the Gate House Theatre. Cost $25. Tickets availalbe on eventbrite.ca (search #PressforProgress or Goddess Gala).
DI Wine Ladies Night (Painted Canvas Tote Bag) at the MakerSpace from 7:00 – P:00 p.m. Tickets available at wwww.pmkidsinmotion.com. Tickets $30 per person.
Magical Fairy Garden Workshop at the MakerSpace! 10:00 – 12:00 p.m. Tickets available at wwww.pmkidsinmotion.com. All ages. Spaces limited to 8. Cost $25.
3 Day Gospel Workshop with Marcus Mosley, Darlene Ketchum and Bill Sample. Registration and Rehearsal starts at Friday April 6 at 6:30 p.m. at the A Frame. For more info call 250-956-3297.
Port Hardy Museum has re-opened! Open Wed to Sat from 10:00 am to noon & 1:00 to 5:00 pm.
North Island Cancer Support Group meets every third Thursday of the month at the Hardy Bay Senior Centre from 7:00 to 8:00 pm. Contact Tracy Smyth at 250-902-0670.
Mad Hatter Tea Party at the Port Hardy Seniors Centre. 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sponsored by the Island’s End Quilters. Proceeds to Local Cancer Support Group. Admission by donation. Great door prizes and delicious snacks! Wear your favourite hat to be entered in a special draw.
Honour your health Challenge at North Island Building Blocks. A 13 week program of a 30-60 minute light warm up and jog routine. Starts March 5 at 4:15 p.m. runs Mondays and Wednesdays. Contact at NIBB 250-230-1132.
Smalltown Swing lesson and practice dance at the Port Hardy Civic Centre! 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Lessons and 7:30 – 9:00 dancing. Bring a partner or come on your own! Wear shoes that can move. No charge!
Market at the Mall from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m at the Thunderbird Mall. Crafters, Pop Up Shops, Home Businesses, and artisans of all kinds! Call 250-949-8623 to reserve a booth.
April 13- 15
West Coast Amusements Carnival at the North Island Mall.
Body Mind and Spirit Wellness Fair at the North Island Mall. Free Admission! 10:00 am to 4:00 pm. Come discover the many different relaxation therapies, healing treatments, health services, and exercise regimens found on the North Island.
Let’s DEW this! (Diet. Exercise. Wellness) Group support from 10 – 11 AM. Meetings held at the Legion and facilitated by the Port Alice Health Centre. Contact Silja RN for more info at 250-284-3555 ext. 4
Meditation Group. Mondays at 1:00 pm. Group will meet at Denise’s Seaview apartment. Spiritual discussions, all beliefs welcome. Phone 1(250)-213-6476 for more information.
Fun and Fitness at the Community Centre! Adult Badminton (New Racquets) Mondays from 7:00 – 9:00 pm. Ping Pong Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Yoga from Monday and Wednesday 6:45 – 8:00 pm. Everyone welcome to join these free activities!
Seedy Saturday at the Athletic Hall (turn left off the ferry to 13th Ave) from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Free seed swap, A.J. Elliott Grade 5’s ‘West Coast Seeds” fundraiser, locally grown plant-starts for sale, and Tammas Gorgen (Port Hardy horticulturist will give a talk from 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Sointula Resource Centre Society.
Kidsfest. All day event starting with a dual race on the face. After lunch we will have the obstacle course on the bunny hill as well as snow sculptures at the base and face painting in the lodge.
Cypress Cup dual elimination race. This is a single elimination race on the face. It is very spectator friendly and Ski Patrol is hosting a fundraiser BBQ after the race. This is our end of the year send off race, don’t miss out!
The Mount Cain connector departs from the Port McNeill Pioneer Mall at 7:31 a.m. on a first come, first serve basis.Passengers are encouraged to arrive 5 – 10 minutes prior to departure time to load ski/snowboard equipment into the bus. Passengers transfer from the transit bus to the Mount Cain shuttle bus at the Woss General Store.
Fares (one way): Port McNeill to Woss is $3.75 & $5.00 for the Mount Cain shuttle.
Vancouver Island Regional Library Public Service Announcements:
– Mother Goose on the Go!
Drop in with children ages 0 – 7 years for rhymes, crafts and stories at:
· Port McNeill Library, the first Saturday of each month, 11-11:45 am.
· Sointula Library, Wed., Mar. 14 and 28, from 10:15 – 11:15 am.
– St. Paddy’s Day:
– A light-hearted St. Paddy’s week is coming to the Port Alice, Sointula, and Woss Libraries!
· Make a St. Patrick’s Day card, craft, and tell us a yarn about why you’re lucky, from Mar. 13 – 17. All ages, Port Alice branch.
· Make a Pot of Gold on Sat., Mar. 17, 11am – noon, Ages 2 years and up, Sointula branch.
· Hey Kids! Make a Lucky Irish Hat, Mar. 17, 10 am – 2 pm, Woss branch.
– Special Events:
– “Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons!” Puppet Show is coming to the Port Hardy Library on Wed., March 21 at 2pm. Ages 1 – 12 years. Drop in for the show, followed by a craft.
– Want to live green but wish it were simple? Simple and Green discussion group meets Thursday, Mar. 1 at 6:30 pm at the Port Hardy Library. Mark your calendars and drop in!
– Games Night at Sointula Library! Get together for board games from 5:30 – 7:30 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays from Mar. 1 – 29. Ages 10 years and up.
– It’s Woolly Whatever, a reason to get together at the Sointula Library. Bring friends and family to learn something, share something, complete something, get help or be inspired. Bring your ideas, projects, books, magazines, articles and/or excess supplies to share. Wool is not compulsory. Mar. 7 and 21, 1 – 3 pm. Ages, 12 years and up.
– Woss and Port Hardy Libraries are hosting a Spring Break Scavenger Hunt for children of all ages. Drop in all week from March 20 – 24.
– There’s special Spring Break LEGO® Building Tuesday, March 20 at the Port McNeill Public Library. Starts at 2 pm. Ages 1 – 12 years. Other LEGO dates held regularly too! Call 250-956-3669 for more information.
– It’s a Spring Break LEGO® DAY at the Port Hardy Library: Friday, Mar. 23, from noon – 4:30 pm. Families and kids 3 – 12 years. Drop in. Other LEGO dates held regularly too! Call 250-949-6661 for more information.
– Spring Break Week of Activities are at the Port McNeill library: stories crafts, games, LEGO® building and other activities. Ages 2 – 12 years. Call 250-956-3669 for more information.
Port Hardy Book Club meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month, 6:30 pm. Smile, chuckles and light conversation guaranteed! Call 250-949-6661 for more information or Drop in.
The Book Slugs Book Club (BSBC) is meeting at the Sointula Library March 27, 6:30 – 8 pm. Drop in. Adults
Frigon Book Club meets every second Thursday at the Port Alice Library from 6:30 – 8 pm. Next dates: Mar. 8 and 22. Drop in and check out the great smiles, conversation and what they’re reading.