If you like a little spice in your life you’re going to love this recipe!
The smoky heat of the chipotle peppers compliments the tang of the marmalade and balsamic vinegar nicely and gets smoothed out by the cream cheese.
I ended up creating this recipe because I cooked way too much chicken the night before.
So, if you don’t have leftover chicken you can cook some chicken breasts or — because you know I’m a firm believer in cheating to make life easier — go to Overwaitea and buy a cooked chicken and de-bone it.
Whichever you choose, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with this dish.
Chipotle Chicken Sauté
• 2 tbsp grape seed or extra virgin olive oil
• 2 ribs medium diced celery
• 2 or 3 sweet Walla-Walla type onions – diced large
• 2 or 3 small peppers in assorted colours – diced large
• 12 to 14 oz cooked, shredded chicken
• ¼ cup canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
• ½ cup orange marmalade
• 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 6 or 7 oz cream cheese – cut into cubes
In a large pot heat the oil. Add celery, onions and peppers and cook until just translucent but still has a little crunch.
Add in shredded chicken and chipotle peppers. Stir until well combined.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the cubes of cream cheese have completely melted and the sauté is hot. Serve in a bowl as is or over rice or pasta.
Kellie Dukes is a chef in Port Hardy.