VicPD will likely peruse storage procedures after an e-bike sparked flames Tuesday (Sept. 5).
A staff member discovered the fire around 11:30 a.m. in a bike cage area of the Victoria Police Department headquarters at Quadra and Caledonia streets.
“There was potential that fire could have been very serious,” Const. Terri Healy of the community engagement division told Victoria News.
While Victoria Fire Department responded, staff and officers were able to knock down the flames using several fire extinguishers.
Everyone got out of the building safely – allowing time for smoke to dissipate – no one in the cells at the time and no injuries were reported.
The damage has yet to be assessed, but the area will likely need remediation, Healy added. It may also prompt questions on storage, the e-bike found to be the source of the fire was in a locker that holds seized and found items.