Britain’s Prince Philip admitted to hospital with infection

He’s suffered a blocked coronary artery, severe bladder infection but has been generally healthy

Prince Philip, the 96-year old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has been admitted to a hospital for treatment of an infection and did not attend the Queen’s Speech in Parliament.

Buckingham Palace said Philip was admitted as a precautionary measure and is in good spirits. He was said to be out of bed on Wednesday.

The palace said Philip was driven to the hospital by private car Tuesday evening on the advice of a physician. His infection was related to a pre-existing condition which was not disclosed.

The queen, 91, maintained her official schedule, giving a speech outlining the government’s legislative plan in Parliament, and planned to attend the Royal Ascot horse races in the afternoon.

Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, said in May he was cutting down his public appearances and would not take on new charity roles.

He has suffered a blocked coronary artery and a severe bladder infection in recent years but has been in generally good health.

He still attends summer garden parties with the queen, hosting more than 2,000 guests at a time, and has maintained his presence at important ceremonial events, including the Trooping the Color procession earlier in June.

The palace said Philip is being treated at the King Edward VII Hospital in London.

He seemed fine Tuesday when he attended Royal Ascot with the queen and other senior members of the royal family.

The queen and Philip both suffered from severe cases of the flu at Christmas but have recovered.

The Associated Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Community support keeps girls hockey alive on the North Island

“A successful program depends on community engagement and support.”

Wilson recognized by Port Hardy Council for commitment to thrift store

Marg is a true leader for Port Hardy’s auxiliary and her nominators feel she is unstoppable.”

#MeToo at work: How reporting sexual harassment works – and how it doesn’t

British Columbians have four options to report harassment or assault, but none of them are easy

One person dead in logging truck collision

“The logging truck was stopped for other traffic, and it was rear-ended by a passenger car.”

#MeToo at work: B.C. women share horrifyingly common sexual assaults

It happens to more people than you might think and impacts women inside and outside of the workplace

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

B.C. woman brain injured in crash as a baby gets $1.1 million in damages

Trial heard the woman was 16 months old, being carried by her mother when they were both hit

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

INTERACTIVE MAP: Follow the 2017 Tour de Rock

Follow the Tour de Rock, as they pedal more than 1,000 kilometres fundraising to combat paediatric cancer

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Most Read