Chemical leak evacuates pool

An apparent chlorine leak lead to the port Hardy swimming pool evacuating staff and the public Tuesday morning.

Gazette staff

PORT HARDY—A chemical mix-up at Port Hardy’s Recreation Centre led to the evacuation of the swimming pool and the medical treatment of a daycare group Tuesday morning.

The incident was still under investigation when the Gazette went to press, but early reports suggest that two chemicals were improperly mixed by a Rec. staff member leading to the formation of chlorine gas which then diffused into the main areas.

The mistake was immediately realized and the pool closed, but staff and a group of pre-schoolers in the change rooms at the time of the incident were exposed to the gas.

RCMP, firefighters and paramedics were on the scene within minutes and those exposed — including three District employees, nine pre-schoolers and childcare providers — were taken to Port Hardy Hospital as a precaution and later released.

District representatives have promised a full investigation into the incident but praised the quick reactions of staff.

“The District takes the utmost precautions,” said Mayor Bev Parnham. “Staff did the right  thing in evacuating.”

She said that the operator involved in the error is extremely well-trained and a “seasoned” member of staff, noting that WorkSafeBC had been alerted to the incident and would look into the circumstances alongside the District’s own investigation.

“I really don’t know what happened,” she said, “we’ll have to wait for the outcome of the investigation. I am pleased that correct procedures were followed and staff put their emergency training to use.”

Deputy Fire Chief Brent Borg said that the scene was under control by the time the firefighters got there. “We just went in and did the ventilation and confirmed the evacuation — made sure everybody was out.”

It was unclear how long the building would remain off-limits, the period dependent in part on the pending investigation. “It could conceivably be a couple of days,” said the mayor, adding that she hoped for a quick turnaround in this case.

On behalf of the District, the mayor apologized to those affected. “Obviously we’re apologetic,” said Mayor Parnham. “Thankfully, these sorts of incidents are extremely rare, we have a really good safety record. It’s unfortunate there were people in the building at the time, of course we’re wishing those people well.

“For those people, we sincerely apologize and will do everything possible to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

 

 

Just Posted

B.C. Legions in need of young members to continue aiding veterans into the future

Lest we forget what thousands of men and women did to fight for Canada’s freedoms – but without new membership, many Legion chapters face dwindling numbers

Port Hardy Fire Rescue’s third quarterly report of 2018

PHFR had 13 practice nights and 11 other training events this quarter.

Port McNeill mayor and council sworn in to office

Port McNeill’s new mayor and council were officially sworn in to office… Continue reading

Vancouver Island brewery re-brands again after cryptic new logo failed

Victoria-based brewers said goodbye to confusing hexagon logo

VIDEO: Marvel Comics’ Stan Lee dies

Marvel co-creator was well-known for making cameo appearances in superhero movies

Vancouver Island remembers

Important stories shared as Islanders salute those who made the greatest sacrifice

Most fatal overdose victims did not have recent police contact: Stats Canada

11 per cent of those who fatally overdosed in B.C. had four or more contacts with the police

Who was Chris Bloomfield, the Mill Bay man shot by police?

A troubled man with a voracious appetite for illicit drugs and a non-conventional lifestyle

Calgarians head to the polls to declare ‘yea’ or ‘nay’ on Winter Games

The question “are you for or are you against hosting the 2026 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games?” was to be posed to them Tuesday in a plebiscite to help determine whether the city should move ahead with a bid.

Heir’s big birthday: 70 candles lined up for Prince Charles

Prince Charles turns 70 Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018, still serving in the heir to the throne role he has filled since he was a young child.

Trudeau lays down challenge to companies in bid to boost trade with Asia

“Building the relationships, building the connections, building the facility and also changing mindsets — getting Canadian companies to see the opportunities we have around the world to partner and invest.”

CNN sues Trump, demanding return of Acosta to White House

CNN is asking for an immediate restraining order to return Acosta to the White House.

Amazon to split second HQ between New York, Virginia

Official decision expected later Tuesday to end competition between North American cities to win bid and its promise of 50,000 jobs

Most Read