Chemical leak evacuates pool

An apparent chlorine leak lead to the port Hardy swimming pool evacuating staff and the public Tuesday morning.

Gazette staff

PORT HARDY—A chemical mix-up at Port Hardy’s Recreation Centre led to the evacuation of the swimming pool and the medical treatment of a daycare group Tuesday morning.

The incident was still under investigation when the Gazette went to press, but early reports suggest that two chemicals were improperly mixed by a Rec. staff member leading to the formation of chlorine gas which then diffused into the main areas.

The mistake was immediately realized and the pool closed, but staff and a group of pre-schoolers in the change rooms at the time of the incident were exposed to the gas.

RCMP, firefighters and paramedics were on the scene within minutes and those exposed — including three District employees, nine pre-schoolers and childcare providers — were taken to Port Hardy Hospital as a precaution and later released.

District representatives have promised a full investigation into the incident but praised the quick reactions of staff.

“The District takes the utmost precautions,” said Mayor Bev Parnham. “Staff did the right  thing in evacuating.”

She said that the operator involved in the error is extremely well-trained and a “seasoned” member of staff, noting that WorkSafeBC had been alerted to the incident and would look into the circumstances alongside the District’s own investigation.

“I really don’t know what happened,” she said, “we’ll have to wait for the outcome of the investigation. I am pleased that correct procedures were followed and staff put their emergency training to use.”

Deputy Fire Chief Brent Borg said that the scene was under control by the time the firefighters got there. “We just went in and did the ventilation and confirmed the evacuation — made sure everybody was out.”

It was unclear how long the building would remain off-limits, the period dependent in part on the pending investigation. “It could conceivably be a couple of days,” said the mayor, adding that she hoped for a quick turnaround in this case.

On behalf of the District, the mayor apologized to those affected. “Obviously we’re apologetic,” said Mayor Parnham. “Thankfully, these sorts of incidents are extremely rare, we have a really good safety record. It’s unfortunate there were people in the building at the time, of course we’re wishing those people well.

“For those people, we sincerely apologize and will do everything possible to make sure this doesn’t happen again.”

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

North Island Bantam Eagles ice Clippers, clinch Tier 2 league banner

“We will enjoy the moment for now, but… it’s back to work on Tuesday”

Upgrades to Port Hardy arena hinge on grant funding

The district is waiting on grant approval from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure program.

Scarlett Point lighthouse keeper wins a million bucks playing the lottery

“I usually just get a quick pick, so I didn’t expect to win a big prize”

Bradshaw’s Photo Highlight: North Island beauty

“don’t forget to look up and observe the beauty of the whole North Island”

LETTER: Miles put on the car causes North Island driver to reflect

“Up here in Port McNeill we are so blessed with nature’s tranquillity all around us”

VIDEO: Nickelback gears up for nostalgia tour

Canadian band joins Stone Temple Pilots for a summer tour that includes just one stop in Canada

Province asks health-care staff to be ‘vigilant’ in screening for possible coronavirus cases

This comes after U.S. health officials confirmed a case of the virus in Washington State

Boy, 13, arrested after alleged assault involving girl at B.C. middle school

Boy alleged to have used ‘inappropriate levels of force’ to injure the girl

B.C. player becomes only second Canadian to enter Hall of Fame of Baseball

Walker received 76.6 percent of the Baseball Writers of America Association vote

PHOTOS: Heavy snowfall breaks window, causing avalanche into B.C. newsroom office

It was a chaotic start to the week for the Kitimat Northern Sentinel

Canadian law firm launches class action on behalf of Iran flight victims

Flight 752 was shot down by Iran shortly after take off

Mission Hill cellarman fired after mistakenly dumping $162K of wine down the drain

The former employee filed a grievance with the West Kelowna winery but was unsuccesful

Most Read