Being on Council is about leadership.
I believe it is the responsibility of the District of Port Hardy’s Council to establish the climate that encourages progress in all aspects of our community. Council must make its decisions through a lens that asks; ‘what will give people a reason to stay in Port Hardy’ ,‘what will give people a reason to come to Port Hardy’, ‘What will improve life in Port Hardy?’
• Development in Port Hardy cannot happen in isolation from what is happening in rest of the North Island. Open and respectful communication must take place with First Nations’ communities and other North Island communities.
• We need to protect and build on the positive aspects of our community.
• Decisions of Council must be inclusive and address all aspects of our town., including economic, social, cultural and recreational .
• Local government has the greatest impact on our day-to-day lives, yet voter turn out has been traditionally quite low for municipal elections. It has been said that people do not feel represented. Council must work openly and inclusively and give people a reason to believe they are represented.
• Budgets: Council must always be mindful they are dealing with taxpayer’s money. The budget is about priorities. Priorities must be established before dollars are committed.
I have been, and will always be a passionate advocate and defender of Port Hardy.
If elected these are the goals and principles I will use to guide my decisions.
• We arrived in Port Hardy in the spring of 1989. 25 years and 3 boys later we call Port Hardy home.
• I have worked as a teacher on the North Island for 25 years. During this time I have also served as Local President of the Vancouver Island North Teachers’ Association
• Active Minor Hockey Executive member Coach and Manager
• Active member of the Vancouver Island North Woodlands Advisory Group 1999-present
• Elected to the British Columbia Teachers’ Council
• Elected member of the BCTF Executive Committee 2008-2010
• Old Timers Hockey, fishing, firewooding, skiing , cooking