Andrew Berry is appealing his conviction for his daughters’ murders. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Felicity Don)

Lawyer files appeal for B.C. father convicted in killing daughters

Lawyer files notice of appeal shortly after Andrew Berry was sentencing Thursday

A notice of appeal has been filed for Andrew Berry, the Oak Bay father convicted for the murders of his daughters Chloe Berry, 6, and her sister Aubrey, 4.

Berry’s lawyer Kevin McCullough confirmed a “detailed appeal” was filed immediately after his client was sentenced Thursday morning. In September, Berry was convicted on two counts of second-degree murder in the stabbing deaths of his daughters, whose bodies were discovered on Christmas Day in 2017.

With the conviction, Berry received an automatic life sentence, but a three-day sentencing hearing was held to determine how long he would serve before he could apply for parole. On Thursday morning, Justice Miriam Gropper decided Berry would serve 22 years before he was eligible for parole.

RELATED: Oak Bay father who killed daughters will be eligible for parole after 22 years

Berry has maintained his innocence throughout court proceedings, testifying that he had gambling debts, and was attacked in his apartment the night the girls were murdered.

In laying out the facts of the case, Gropper, echoed Crown counsel, calling the alternate narrative presented by Berry and his lawyers “completely fabricated” and “self-serving.”

During victim impact statements read to the court, family, friends, first responders and community members described the utter loss and devastation felt since the little girls were murdered.

READ MORE: About this case

Mother Sarah Cotton told the court there is nothing she can say to articulate the depth of her grief and loss, saying the experience has been “a nightmare I can never wake up from.”

“Chloe and Aubrey were such good human beings,” she said. “Their hearts were so pure – they were so full of love for their family and friends and they were loved by all of them.”



nina.grossman@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

andrew berryOak Bay double homicide

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alert Bay resident carves tribute to his community kicking COVID-19’s butt

‘Our little village crushed the curve with love and commitment’

Vancouver Island’s current COVID-19 case count officially hits zero

Of the 130 recorded Island Health cases, five people have died, 125 recovered

Port Hardy called in record number of black bear sightings last year

Conservation Officers attended 74 of the 314 calls made

North Island recreation camping site closed due to vandalism

Ruined picnic tables are the main damage

Port McNeill’s outdoor swimming pool will stay closed this summer

The Town of Port McNeill typically hires 12-13 staff for the pool every year.

Trudeau offers $14B to provinces for anti-COVID-19 efforts through rest of year

Making a difference in municipalities is a pricey proposition

‘I’m pissed, I’m outraged’: Federal minister calls out police violence against Indigenous people

Indigenous Minister Marc Miller spoke on recent incidents, including fatal shooting of a B.C. woman

Indigenous families say their loved ones’ deaths in custody are part of pattern

Nora Martin joins other Indigenous families in calling for a significant shift in policing

‘Alarmed’: Health critic calls for more data on COVID-19 in trucking industry

Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec said that level of detail is not being collected

UPDATED: Pair accused of ‘horrific’ assault at Vancouver’s Oppenheimer Park arrested

Police say Jason Tapp, 30, and Nicole Edwards, 33, did not show up to meet their bail supervisor this week

Kelowna Mountie who punched suspect identified, condemned by sister

‘How did he get away with this? How is this justifiable?’

PHOTOS: Anti-racism protesters gather in communities across B.C.

More protests are expected through the weekend

No charges to be laid against 22 northern B.C. pipeline protesters

Twenty-two people were arrested in February, but Crown has decided not to pursue charges

Most Read