HANNA PETERSEN PHOTO Fort Rupert Elementary School’s play ground hasn’t been upgraded since the early 1990s.

Province gives Ft. Rupert Elementary $105,000 for new playground

Playgrounds were chosen based on those with the greatest need

Students at Fort Rupert Elementary School (FRES) will soon be able to enjoy a brand new and accessible playground thanks to provincial funding.

On May 8 The province of British Columbia announced will begin investing up to $5 million annually into new playground equipment for schools across the province. FRES was one of the 51 schools across B.C. selected for playground upgrades this year and will receive $105,000 to build a universally accessible playground.

“We are very excited and grateful that we are going to be given the opportunity to bring a new playground to the kids, families, and to the community out here,” said FRES Principal Alison Webber.

She said some of FRES’s playground equipment was installed when the school was built in the early 1960s.

“We had an upgrade but that was in the 1990s, so the school is more than well due for a new playground,” said Webber, adding “We are hoping to have a playground where all kids can go regardless of mobility issues or not.”

Webber said FRES is currently in the process of asking the students for ideas of what they would like to see in the new playground.

“Some of their ideas are pretty wild but we want a lot of community input,” laughed Webber, adding “Before the end of the month we want to have a plan ready and then we need to get in contact with everyone from disturbers to installers.”

Webber said she would like to see playground completed from design to installation in the summer, or within next year at the latest.

“I think when you put funding into making the school look better, and when you put funding into equipment where the all kids can play on regardless of ability that makes the school a lot more friendly,” said Webber.

Playgrounds were chosen based on those with the greatest need, following an application school districts sent out earlier this year. Priority was given to those schools without a current playground, and then to those with aging facilities.

“All students deserve quality, safe and accessible playgrounds at school, regardless of how much their parents can fundraise,” Premier John Horgan said during his visit Quadra Elementary School in Victoria on May 8 when he made the announcement. “That’s why we’re lifting the burden off of parents by investing $5 million today, and every year moving forward, to build playgrounds where they are needed.”

“The board of education is delighted that students at Fort. Rupert Elementary School will have the opportunity to play on a new accessible playground,” said John Martin Secretary-Treasurer for School District 85. “Play is a vital component of healthy physical and cognitive development for children. The board appreciates the funding received from the ministry of education.”

– with files from Ragnar Haagan and Kristyn Anthony

Just Posted

Port Harvey shipyard greenlit

Bylaw 895 has been adopted by RDMW

Port McNeill Volunteer Fire Department appoints deputy chief

Port McNeill Fire Chief Dean Tait has appointed 10+ year firefighter veteran… Continue reading

Port McNeill in Focus: Childcare Availability Crisis a Good News/Bad News Story

On average, childcare across the country is unavailable, unaffordable, and the quality varies.

Notice of change of operator for Mount Waddington transit services

The Regional District of Mount Waddington (RDMW) and BC Transit have received… Continue reading

Is Steve Nash Vancouver Island’s best athlete of all-time?

As Captain Canada gets ready to enter basketball’s Hall of Fame it’s time to debate his legacy

VIDEO: After the floods, comes the cleanup as Grand Forks rebuilds

Business owners in downtown wonder how long it will take for things to go back to normal

Woman’s death near Tofino prompts warning about ‘unpredictable’ ocean

Ann Wittenberg was visiting Tofino for her daughter Victoria Emon’s wedding

B.C. man facing deportation says terror accusation left him traumatized

Othman Hamdan was acquitted of terrorism-related charges by a B.C. Supreme Court judge in September

Will Taylor Swift’s high concert ticket prices stop scalpers?

Move by artist comes as B.C. looks to how to regulate scalpers and bots reselling concert tickets

36 fires sparked May long weekend, most due to lightning: BC Wildfire

As warmer weather nears, chief fire officer Kevin Skrepnek says too soon to forecast summer

Ariana Grande sends message of hope on anniversary of Manchester bombing

Prince William joins survivors and emergency workers for remembrance service

B.C. flood risk switches from snowmelt to rainfall: River Forecast Centre

Kootenays and Fraser River remain serious concerns

Pipeline more important than premiers meeting: Notley

“Canada has to work for all Canadians, that’s why we’re fighting for the pipeline”

Canadian government spending tens of millions on Facebook ads

From January 2016 to March 2018, feds spent more than $24.4 million on Facebook and Instagram ads

Most Read