Cash and jewellery recovered by RCMP following a routine traffic stop back in March. Jewellery worth $73,000 was returned to its Chilliwack owner last month. (RCMP Photo)

Stolen goods – including $73,000 in jewelry – returned to rightful B.C. owners

Police believe the thieves – who have since been deported – were part of an organized theft ring

  • Jul. 26, 2018 2:15 p.m.

Stolen jewelry worth approximately $73,000 has been returned its Chilliwack owners, RCMP said Thursday.

And the thieves have been deported.

The jewelry, along with a significant amount of cash, had been recovered back in March following a routine traffic stop on Highway 1 near Malakwa, B.C.

The three people in the rental vehicle were not Canadian citizens, B.C. RCMP Traffic Services said at the time, and carried no passports or a valid driver’s licence.

Since then police have been working to reunite the stolen property with its rightful owners.

Three weeks ago investigators were in Chilliwack, where they delivered the $73,000 jewelry.

“The owners of the jewelry were very thankful for the efforts of police and were grateful for the return of their property,” said lead investigator Const. Christopher Coleman.

Early on in the investigation police believed the three suspects were part of an organized theft ring, traveling across the province and possibly Canada, committing thefts to obtain valuables and cash.

Later police were able to link most of the jewelry to a series of residential break and enters in the Lower Mainland.

“This is a great example of the multi-agency cooperation utilized to bring this case to a successful conclusion,” said Coleman.

A significant amount of currency was also recovered during the initial traffic stop, police added, and the break and enter victims may be able to recover funds through BC’s Victim of Crime Act or the BC Civil Forfeiture Office.

The three suspects were not charged. Instead police worked closely with Canada Border Services and the individuals have since been deported.

Just Posted

Baby, it’s nasty outside: wind and rain will continue across Vancouver Island

Police warn drivers and pedestrians to use precaution during expected rain and winds

Collective agreement met between UFCW 1518 and IGA

Membership voted strongly in favour of the collective agreement, which came days after negotiations.

Safety board issues letters over rail crash that killed three workers in Woss

The safety board conducted the investigation at the request of the Transportation Ministry

SD85’s spring break schedule may change to two-weeks but would overlap Easter

“This makes absolutely no sense to me,” Barrett stated in a letter to school trustees.

UPDATE: Police say false bomb threat came from computer and printer in the school

“The threat was a hoax by a student,” said Port McNeill RCMP.

UPDATE: B.C. businesses evacuated due to emailed bomb threat, also received in U.S.

Penticton and Comox Valley businesses evacuated Thursday morning

VIDEO: Kitten rescued from under school bus in Duncan

School staff have affectionately called kitten “Axle”

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Coach accused of sexual assault says apology letter was misinterpreted

Dave Brubaker has pleaded not guilty to one count of sexual assault and one count of invitation to sexual touching

Give the gift of nature this holiday season

Please don’t be mad, but I bought you a moose

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read