BCTF president Susan Lambert speaks to delegates at the union’s convention in March 2011.

Teacher talks have failed: employer

With negotiations stalled after 11 months of fruitless meetings school districts concluded there is no chance for a settlement

  • Feb. 8, 2012 4:00 p.m.

With negotiations stalled after 11 months of fruitless meetings and five months of strike action, the bargaining agent for B.C. school districts has concluded there is no chance for a negotiated settlement with the B.C. Teachers’ Federation.

And that leaves the president of the Vancouver Island North Teachers’  Association wondering where the focus during negotiations might be.

“Where are the priorities?,” said Fred Robertson.

“Negotiations are still on the table and we are hoping to negotiate the settlement (but) the priorities should be the children and their education and providing the resources needed.”

The B.C. Public School Employers’ Association presented its latest offer as talks with the B.C. Teachers’ Federation resumed late last month.

BCPSEA issued a statement listing new proposals for teacher leave and a two-year contract term, but expectations of progress on major issues have disappeared.

“It has become evident, however, that any number of presentations, explanations or meetings will not help the parties reach a new agreement,” the statement says.

BCTF president Susan Lambert described the latest employer proposal as “baby steps” toward a settlement.

BCPSEA was more pessimistic.

When the latest offer was tabled Wednesday, the union’s response at the bargaining table continued the BCTF’s rejection of the government’s two-year “net zero” mandate on wages.

BCPSEA says a union representative also emphasized “characterization of all BCPSEA proposals as ‘contract stripping’” and “the need to ‘go back to your master’ and get a new mandate (in all areas of our package).”

Education Minister George Abbott has repeatedly said there will be no new mandate, but declined to put a deadline on the talks, which will reach the one-year mark in March.

“The mandate doesn’t change,” said Robertson, who said he wants to see the school districts to “negotiate don’t legislate.”

A five-year contract with the BCTF, the first ever negotiated with the province, expired in June 2011.

Teachers began the school year last September by refusing report cards, recess and lunch hour supervision and other duties deemed non-essential.

 

—with files from Desiree Conway

 

 

Just Posted

Rumble on the Runway returns to Port McNeill Airport

Rumble on the Runway, the North Island Timing Association’s annual summer drag… Continue reading

VIDEO: Eke Me-Xi Learning Centre Grad 2018

Grade 12 student Jade Hanuse was presented with her diploma from Principal Sheila Mcgrath.

Moms of those killed by illicit opioids take to B.C. Legislature in call for action

Moms Stop the Harm, a nationwide network of families who have lost loved ones to overdoses rally

Port Hardy takes next step towards legal cannabis sales

Two public hearings were held to seek input on cannabis zoning bylaw

Kervin’s Corner: Eye sore or tourist attraction? District of Port Hardy to display windmill blade anyway

Do you like the idea of putting up the windmill blade on display in Port Hardy?

VIDEO: Canadian toddler caught practising hockey skills in crib

Eli Graveline is getting praise from far and wide as the internet freaks out of cute throwback video

Man shot dead in Surrey ID’d as hockey coach and father of two

Murder of Paul Bennett – a respected Peace Arch Hospital worker and ‘champion of sport’ – ‘not random’

Serial killer Robert Pickton transferred to Quebec: victim’s family

Pickton was convicted in December 2007 of six counts of second degree murder

Canadian Syrian children’s choir not to attend festival over fears about U.S. travel

Many kids are recent immigrants from countries covered by Trump travel ban

Amalgamation fails in North Cowichan and Duncan

North Cowichan says yes, but Duncan says no

B.C. teacher ends Jeopardy! winning streak, taking home US$69,000

Ali Hasan, from New Westminster, has been gaining fans as a “one-man invasion,” says Alex Trebek

Jett Woo highlights 5 Canucks choices on Day 2 of NHL entry draft

WHL star out of Moose Jaw tabbed in Round 2

In a matter of hours, women in Saudi Arabia will be allowed to drive

Change was announced as a royal decree in 2017 by Crown Prince Mohammen bin Salman

Most Read