U’mista blaze may have been arson

An investigation into last week's fire at the U'mista Cultural Centre has investigators now believing that the blaze had a malicious origin.

  • Aug. 1, 2013 11:00 a.m.

ALERT BAY— The community of Alert Bay was given troubling news this week as an investigation into last week’s fire at the U’mista Cultural Centre has investigators now believing that the blaze had a malicious origin.

The fire broke out in the early hours of Tuesday, July 23, and was initially suspected to be the result of an electrical fault in a dehumidifier due to the proximity of the melted husk of the device to the source point.

After examining the scene, the fire inspector has now provided a report stating the blaze had an external source.

Now ‘Namgis Chief Bill Cranmer is appealing to the community to help find those responsible.

In a statement (printed in full on this week’s Letters, page 7,) Cranmer said he was saddened by damage done when he thought it was an electrical fault but even more saddened by the idea that the fire could have been deliberate.

He also underlined the value of the collection, made up of pieces that were  confiscated by the government during the 65-year ban on the potlatch. Kwakwaka’wakw peoples began a decades-long fight after the ban was lifted in 1951 to have the irreplaceable masks and regalia returned from museums across the world. The centre itself was constructed by the U’mista Cultural Society to house the returned items.

Thanks to the building’s sprinkler system and a quick response from local firefighters, the world-renowned collection escaped the flames, but suffered water and soot damage.

“The firefighters were on the scene very quickly,” said Cranmer. “If it wasn’t for them it would have been a lot worse.”

Cranmer explained that conservators had come up from Victoria to help restore the pieces impacted by the fire but that the damage done was extensive. The whole collection needs to be removed from the gallery and the gallery itself gutted to deal with the smoke damage caused by the blaze.

“We’d sure appreciate any help (identifying the culprits),” said Cranmer. “It’s troubling to think that this could happen again.”

Anyone with information on the fire is encouraged to contact the Alert Bay RCMP at 250-974-5544.

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

B.C. students send books to displaced students of Hornby Island school fire

Maple Ridge elementary school teacher says students learned about acts of kindness

North Island Tour De Rock rider Benjamin Leah leads team to Port Hardy

“You don’t have issues and problems when you look at these kids and how much they’re going through.”

PRACC Chair Fred Robertson happy with how windmill blade display turned out

“Rotary really stepped up, which was excellent.”

Island Foods renovates bottle depot and cans old bottle return system

“I don’t want people to spend the whole day here,” said Angela Taylor on Port McNeill’s bottle depot.

Yukon man facing new attempted murder charge in Port Alice exploding mail case

Leon Nepper, 73, is now facing one charge each of aggravated assault and attempted murder

Environment Canada confirms Ottawa area hit by two tornadoes Friday

At one point more than 200,000 hydro customers were blacked out

Whitecaps see playoff dreams fade after 2-1 loss to FC Dallas

Goal in 87th minute seals Vancouver’s fate

Trump drains oxygen from Trudeau foreign policy with PM, Freeland bound for UN

A lot has changed since the Liberals came to power in Canada in 2015

B.C. man fined $15,000, barred from trading securities for fraud

Larry Keith Davis used money from an investor to pay personal bills

Emergency crews investigate small sulphuric acid spill in Kootenays

IRM states a small volume of less than one cup and three dime-sized drips were leaked from carrier

Family, friends of B.C murder victim want killer sent back to max security facility

Group wants convicted murderer Walter Ramsay sent back to a maximum security facility

B.C. VIEWS: Looking under the hood of ICBC’s war on crashes

Is our accident rate really soaring, or is it inefficiency?

Most Read