Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Andrew Harris celebrates his touchdown during first half CFL football action against the Edmonton Eskimos in Edmonton, Friday, Aug. 23, 2019. Harris has been suspended for two games by the CFL after testing positive a banned substance. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Andrew Harris celebrates his touchdown during first half CFL football action against the Edmonton Eskimos in Edmonton, Friday, Aug. 23, 2019. Harris has been suspended for two games by the CFL after testing positive a banned substance. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

CFL suspends Bombers’ Harris for two games for positive drug test

According to the league, Harris tested positive for Metandienone

Running back Andrew Harris of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers has been suspended for two games following a positive drug test, the CFL announced Monday.

According to the league, Harris tested positive for Metandienone, which is a banned substance.

In a statement, Harris said he was tested March 1, July 2 and again July 12. It was after the third test that Harris added he was notified of the positive result.

Harris, a three-time CFL all-star and the league’s top Canadian in 2017, said he never knowingly took a banned substance. Harris has helped Winnipeg (8-2) to spot in the West Division standings.

“Throughout my four years playing here in Winnipeg, I have been drug tested more than any other player on our team to the point that it has become a running joke within our locker room,” Harris said. “I’m still in shock and disbelief at the news.

“The timeline makes it very clear — I was not using a banned substance for performance enhancing purposes, nor was I aware that I was taking any supplements with any banned substances in them. Based on the fact pattern, this is clearly a case of product contamination.”

CFL players testing positive for the first time face a two-game suspension.

Both Harris’s A and B samples came back positive, meaning he has already appealed and therefore must accept the suspension.

Harris, a 32-year-old Winnipeg native, is currently the CFL’s rushing leader with 908 yards on 141 carries (6.4-yard average) with three TDs. His suspension comes at a bad time for the Bombers as starting quarterback Matt Nichols went on the six-game injured list last week with an upper-body ailment.

Harris, who came to the CFL in ‘09 from the Canadian junior ranks, said he’s never been one to look for shortcuts.

“My road to becoming a starter in the CFL was extremely difficult, and I take a lot of pride in the honest blue collar work I’ve put in to reach this point in my career,” he said. “As unsettling and painful as this is to me and my family, I hope this can be a helpful reminder to all athletes about being extremely cautious and aware of what they are taking and putting into their bodies.”

Harris also apologized to the Bombers for the positive test.

“I can’t wait to rejoin my teammates and the city of Winnipeg in our quest to bring a Grey Cup to this wonderful city that I am fortunate enough to call home,” he said.

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea said he stands firmly behind his player.

“As someone who has coached Andrew for four seasons now, I know firsthand the hard work and dedication he puts into his career as a true professional,” O’Shea said in a statement. “Andrew has been tested eight times since becoming a member of the Blue Bombers, three times this season, including 10 days prior to the test that came back positive.

“While this is an extremely unfortunate situation, I support Andrew and look forward to his return in a few weeks.”

Harris will miss both of Winnipeg’s upcoming games against the Saskatchewan Roughriders (6-3).

“The Winnipeg Blue Bombers fully support the CFL’s policy on performance enhancing drugs and have fully co-operated with the CFL in regard to this matter,” said club president/CEO Wade Miller. “The Winnipeg Football Club also supports Andrew Harris through this extremely difficult and unfortunate situation.

“We look forward to Andrew re-joining us on the field for game days following the bye week.”

ALSO READ: B.C. Lions fall to 1-9 after 13-10 loss to Ticats

The Canadian Press


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

North Island Gazette
EDITORIAL: What to do about homelessness in Port Hardy

‘people suffering from homelessness deserve to be treated with dignity and compassion’

North Island Eagles logo
North Island Eagles give update on the upcoming 2021-2022 season

The North Island Eagles minor rep hockey teams are getting ready for… Continue reading

Ma Murrays 2021 virtual ceremony screenshot
North Island Gazette wins big at 2021 Ma Murray Newspaper Awards

Zoe Ducklow and Bill McQuarrie both won gold at the online ceremony

Port Hardy council has agreed to cancel Canada Day celebrations in wake of the discovery of the remains of 215 children being found on the grounds of a former residential school. (North Island Gazette file photo)
Council votes to cancel Canada Day celebrations in wake of mass grave sites being found

Coun. Treena Smith made the motion for the chamber to not host Canada Day celebrations this year

Port Hardy Fire Rescue responded to an early morning fire around 3:50 a.m. on Sunday, June 13. Two porta-potties were on fire at the Visitor’s Centre on Hastings Street. Anyone with information is asked to contact the RCMP at 250-949-6335. (Port Hardy Fire Rescue photo)
Firefighters respond to early morning fire near visitor centre in Port Hardy

Two porta-potties were on fire at the Visitor’s Centre on Hastings Street

Maxwell Johnson is seen in Bella Bella, B.C., in an undated photo. The Indigenous man from British Columbia has filed complaints with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal and the Canadian Human Rights Commission after he and his granddaughter were handcuffed when they tried to open a bank account. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Heiltsuk Nation, Damien Gillis, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
VIDEO: Chiefs join human rights case of Indigenous man handcuffed by police in B.C. bank

Maxwell Johnson said he wants change, not just words, from Vancouver police

Marine biologist Rick Harbo pulls a lid from the Ladysmith harbour, which he uses to monitor the presence of native and non-native species in the Ladysmith harbour. (Cole Schisler photo)
Unidentified sponge may be the latest marine species invading Island harbour

Marine biologist finding dozens of alien species in warm-water Ladysmith Harbour, none threatening

Island Health is bringing a vaccination clinic to Lake Cowichan starting June 23. (Submitted)
Island Health opening COVID-19 vaccine clinic to boost lagging Cowichan Lake numbers

Cowichan Valley West the only Island area under 60 per cent in adult first dose totals

For more than a year, Rene Doyharcabal and a small group of neighbours in Langley’s Brookswood neighbourhood have been going out every evening to show support for first responders by honking horns and banging pots and drums. Now, a neighbour has filed a noise complaint. (Langley Advance Times file)
Noise complaint filed against nightly show of support for health care workers in B.C. city

Langley Township contacted group to advise of complaint, but no immediate action is expected

A nurse prepares a shot of the COVID-19 vaccine at the Yukon Convention Centre in Whitehorse on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Mike Thomas
Vancouver couple pleads guilty to breaking Yukon COVID rules, travelling for vaccine

Chief Judge Michael Cozens agreed with a joint sentencing submission,

An inmate in solitary confinement given lunch on Tuesday, May 10, 2016. THE CANADIAN/Lars Hagberg
22-hour cap on solitary confinement for youth in custody still too long: B.C. lawyer

Jennifer Metcalfe was horrified to hear a youth had spent a total of 78 straight days in isolation

Flowers and candles were laid on the driveway of the Weber home, where Kerri Weber was found dead in November 2020. (Black Press Media file photo)
Greater Victoria man to stand trial for death of his wife last November

Ken Weber is charged with second-degree murder of his wife, Kerri Weber

The discovery of a missing woman’s body in Nanaimo earlier this month is now being treated as homicide, say Nanaimo RCMP. (File photo)
Discovery of woman’s body in downtown Nanaimo now being investigated as a homicide

Amy Watts was found dead near Albert Street and Victoria Crescent on June 3

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

Most Read