Andrew Pereboom of the Dirty Dodgers prepares to slip out of the way as he comes under fire during his side's final against the Lifeguards.

Dodgeball makes impact at Quatsino

Fundraising dodgeball tourney pools over $1,150 to send local kids to soccer tourney.

COAL HARBOUR—As kids across the North Island dressed up for Halloween last weekend, a group of adults donned their costumes for a very different reason in Quatsino.

The band hosted its inaugural co-ed dodgeball tournament and — just as in the movie of the same name — teams faced off in costume.

Eight teams came out for the event, won in a thrilling finale by the Lifeguards who overcame a 3-1 deficit in the best-of-seven series to trump the Dirty Dodgers 4-3.

The two sides earned their berths after surviving the weekend’s double elimination playoffs, the second-seeded Lifeguards fighting back through the loser’s bracket after going down in the second round to their final opponents.

Behind the fun there was a good cause for the shenanigans. “Three of our kids are going to Honolulu for an all-aboriginal soccer tournament,” explained organizer Ray Clair.

The monies raised at the event went to fundraising efforts for the local youths: Riley Nelson, Miranda Clair and Trey Morash. Clair estimated that the trip to the mid-August soccer tourney would cost approximately $21,000 per youth.

And the pot got a boost thanks to a classy act from the finalists. Both the Lifeguards and the Dirty Dodgers handed their winnings right back to the organizers to supplement the total, which Clair said topped $1,150.

Fundraising efforts will continue for the youths, with an Old Mans/ Old Ladies volleyball tourney scheduled for end of this month. Organizers already have six mens and five ladies teams signed up and hope to draw more. For more information on the tourney contact Melissa Robertson at 250-902-8321.

Dodgeball seems to have had an impact too, promising to return in the new year.

“With dodgeball we’re just trying to get a different sport in. It’s fun, mobile — we’re just trying to do something different,” said Clair.

Clair said that another, larger tournament was in the works for Jan. 31- Feb 2, this time with a 13-18 division in addition to the adult bracket.

In addition, Clair hopes to launch a co-ed league early in January, with games to be held at Quatsino and Wakas Halls.

 

To learn more about the upcoming tournament or league contact Clair on 250-203-2897.

 

 

Just Posted

North Island College holding information session on new culinary diploma

Get a sneak peek at the new culinary kitchen at the Campbell River campus

Council approves replacement of overhead heaters at Fire Hall

Port Hardy council has agreed to spend $11,000 on the replacement of… Continue reading

North Island Eagles minor rep ockey organization hand out year-end awards in Port McNeill

It was quite the season and then some for minor rep hockey here in the North Island.

North Island resident to campaign on climate, economy for Liberal Party seat in Ottawa

Peter Schwarzhoff joins race for the second time in North Island-Powell River riding

Press release: Port Alice Health Centre service model announced

“a sustainable and dependable model of health care service delivery in Port Alice is a priority”

Killer of Calgary mother, daughter gets no parole for 50 years

A jury found Edward Downey guilty last year in the deaths of Sara Baillie, 34, and five-year-old Taliyah Marsman

Most British Columbians agree the ‘big one’ is coming, but only 50% are prepared

Only 46 per cent of British Columbians have prepared an emergency kit with supplies they might need

B.C. man to pay Maxime Bernier’s People’s Party $20k over lawsuit

Federal judge shut down Satinder Dhillon’s ‘nonsensical’ motion to bar use of PPC name in byelection

RCMP searching for missing Vancouver Island teenager

16-year-old Lasheena Seward was reported missing from a group home in Port Alberni

Sitting and sleeping on downtown sidewalks could net $100 fine in Penticton

The measure, which still requires final approval, would be enforced between May and Sept. 30

Survey finds 15% of Canadian cannabis users with a valid licence drive within two hours of using

Survey also finds middle-aged men are upping their usage following legalization

B.C. man killed in logging accident ‘would have done anything for anyone’

Wife remembers 43-year old Petr Koncek, father of two children

Most Read