Students at Eagle View Elementary School were visited by members of the fire department last week to promote fire safety.
Breaking into groups, the students learned about equipment like the Halligan bar and breathing apparatus, the protective clothing used by firefighters, and tips on what to do in the event of a fire.
The firefighters also emphasized the importance of smoke alarms in the home.
In the first months of this year, the volunteers responded to a spate of structure fires in Port Hardy, which caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.
Of eight fires, only one had a working smoke alarm.
The fire fighters also highlighted the upcoming magic show for John Kaplan.
The event will be a fundraiser for the department’s Sparky fund, which will be used to promote fire prevention.