Orca expansion could lead to ten new jobs

A local business could potential bring ten new jobs to the area

Regional District of Mount Waddington administration has met with Polaris Minerals Corporation representatives to discuss their proposal to apply for a licence of occupation on a parcel of land adjacent to their current leased property.

According to Manager of Economic Development Pat English, Polaris is looking at “a piece of Crown land to develop a small quarry. It will help increase the efficiency of their current operation.

“The board is generally supportive of it. It is a permitted use in the area and it increases the violability of the existing business,” English said.

Demand for their product is the reason behind the application, said Polaris President and CEO Herb Wilson.

“We’ve got an out of balance situation at the Orca Quarry. We’ve got customers screaming at us for more of the coarse material. We’ve got a real shortage,” said Wilson.

“We have the capacity to process a little more (coarse material). The area that we’re interested in is access to a mineral that is exactly the same mineral that our gravel has come from.”

Wilson said the expansion would create “10 well-paid jobs for the North Island” on the actual site and on transportation into the quarry.

“If we can get the tenure, then what we need to look at is the environmental components. We’re not going to spoil what we think is our good reputation by not developing this properly.

“I think its really a fairly benign activity there,” Wilson said.

“It’s not an unusual activity, if you like. In that location there are existing quarries around there,” he said.

In the best case scenario “maybe we could be operating at the beginning of 2017,” said Wilson.

Polaris Materials Corporation owns 88 per cent of Orca Sand & Gravel Ltd. with the remaining 12 per cent interest held by the ‘Namgis First Nation. The Orca Quarry, which opened in 2007, is located west of Port McNeill. The processing plant produces three washed products: large (one inch) gravel, small (1/2 inch) gravel and concrete sand. The Orca Quarry is permitted to produce 6.6 million tons of sand and gravel per year and has a dedicated ship loading facility capable of rapidly loading ships and barges, including ‘Panamax’ vessels with a capacity of up to 80,000 tons. Polaris is well established as a supplier of high quality sand and gravel concrete aggregates in northern California. The Orca products have also been used in many projects in Vancouver and Honolulu, Hawaii.

The company has won two major awards for environmental responsibility.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

LETTER: Miles put on the car causes North Island driver to reflect

“Up here in Port McNeill we are so blessed with nature’s tranquillity all around us”

Collaborative effort removes salmon farms from BC coast

The first farms to be removed were those in closest to the Ahta and Viner Rivers.

North Island Concert Society: Marc Atkinson Trio coming to the Civic Centre

The concert takes place at 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 18 at the Port Hardy Civic Centre.

MP Blaney welcomes feedback on medical assistance in dying legislation

Over the next two weeks the Government of Canada is holding consultations… Continue reading

Picture perfect: Get the most from your wedding photography

Stop by the Comox Community Centre on Jan. 26 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.!

‘Like an ATM’: World’s first biometric opioid-dispensing machine launches in B.C.

First-of-its-kind dispensing machine unveiled in the Downtown Eastside with hopes of curbing overdose deaths

Canucks extend home win streak to 8 with 4-1 triumph over Sharks

Victory lifts Vancouver into top spot in NHL’s Pacific Division

BC Green Party leader visits northern B.C. pipeline protest site

Adam Olsen calls for better relationship between Canada, British Columbia and First Nations

B.C. society calls out conservation officer after dropping off bear cub covered in ice

Ice can be seen in video matted into emaciated bear cub’s fur

Horgan cancels event in northern B.C. due to security concerns, says Fraser Lake mayor

The premier will still be visiting the city, but the location and day will not be made public

B.C. landlord sentenced to two years in jail for torching his own rental property

Wei Li was convicted of intentionally lighting his rental property on fire in October 2017

Blue Monday is a myth but seasonal affective disorder and the winter blues are real

Canadian Mental Health Association says weather can affect mood

PHOTOS: Eastern Newfoundland reeling, search underway for missing man after blizzard

More than 70 centimetres of new snow fell overnight, creating whiteout conditions

Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

‘Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family,’ says Queen Elizabeth II

Most Read